Baby Sleep Checklist
HOW TO SETTLE YOUR BABY FOR SLEEP
Following a feed, some babies are alert and playful and others are drowsy and ready for a sleep. A regular routine helps baby settle more quickly for sleep. Try the following tips
1) Make sure that your baby is clean, dry and comfortable.
2) Give your baby a quiet cuddle, this is their wind down time. Sing a lullaby in a quiet calm environment.
3) Put your baby in the bassinette or cot on their back.
4) Try wrapping 0-4 months babies with cotton cot sheet only.
5) Darkening the room may be helpful.
6) Settle your baby in their cot for sleeping as they will often settle more easily and for longer in their cot or bassinette.
7) Try leaving your baby to go to sleep on their own if they are quiet and relaxed.
If your baby Grizzles or cries
Some babies do not settle easily on their own and will grizzle and cry for some time. If your baby is like this then try the following steps:
1) Speak soothingly to your baby, try “sh sh” noise or sing softly.
2) Try to relax your baby in the cot with the following methods
3) Continue this until your baby appears relaxed
If your baby still won’t settle
1) Pick up your baby for a cuddle
2) Change your baby’s nappy if necessary
3) Try Burping your baby
4) Settle your baby in the cot as before
But my baby still won’t settle!
If baby still hasn’t settled within 10-15 minutes try some of the following:
If this hasn’t worked – then go about your normal routine and try again when tired signs appear again.
If your baby wakes quickly
If your baby wakes again in less than 1 hour, it may be possible to resettle them.
If your baby does not resettle, then they may not need a longer sleep at this time.
Posted on July 05, 2012 - 01:35 PM- Updated on July 05, 2012 - 01:35 PM